Wednesday 10 March 2010

SCAS indoor championships

This competition turned out to be tough physically, with me shooting three rounds (192 arrows including practice ends) over 11 hours (yes, started at 9:30 am and finished at 8:45!).

I shot 572 for both the individual Portsmouth rounds and 561 for the FITA 18, with 572 matching my current competition PB. I started the Portsmouth rounds slowly, had very strong middle sections but drifted at the end, so I need to attack the round mentally throughout. I also need to ensure that I stand up straight to allow the shot to be executed off the back muscles. When I did this I was nailing the 10's.

With a high quality line up, including a former GB Field member and a current GB Para-Olympian (John Stubbs), I missed out on an individual medal but won the County Team award for Surrey, being paired with John Stubbs as the two highest scores by Surrey archers.

However, lessons learnt for next time:
  • Shoot a low poundage bow indoors so I can shoot multiple rounds, maybe around 50 to 52 lbs.
  • Make use of the seating to rest between ends. I stood for over 12 hours and this took its toll.
  • Drink more water. I did'nt take any water and dehydration made it harder to concentrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment