Friday 11 November 2011

Trigger thumb position

Been thinking and working on my thumb position on the trigger for a while now. I purchased my new release aid a few months back and have been able to get a much more positive position, but its still not perfect.

The problem has been that I have come to full draw, anchored and settled into the aim, and then move my thumb onto the trigger. This has then caused my aim to become unsettled because I have had to move to get into position. Also I have not been able to really get the right part of the thumb on the trigger, and generally its too far forward towards the pad of the thumb. This has left no potential movement left in the hand to activate the trigger. Having it further back allows the back of the hand to relaxed and act against the trigger.

This has resulted in me changing my shot sequence to position my thumb after I have drawn the bow but before I have anchored and settled on the aim. This has allowed me to get the right position. I have been practising today, and once I had got into the rhythm of doing this every time I was able to shoot some really good shots back to back.

It will take a while to build this into my sequence sub-consciously (got 4 years of shooting to change!), but I am looking forward to this improving my shooting that little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment