Thursday 31 May 2012

First FITA Field shoots...a good start

Since my last post I have shot my first FITA Field shoots, at Pentref and Overton (British Field Champs). Both were difficult courses, with very tough but contrasting weather. Pentref was very wet and windy, whilst Overton was very windy but stinking hot.

Whilst with field its about shooting the course, not the score like target, I am pleased that I have not disgraced myself. The unmarked at Pentref was 373 (day 2 was cut short due to weather, then even more so due to equipment failure), and at Overton, I shot 353 (unmarked - VERY windy on the top ridge) and 373 again for the marked (VERY hot). The two 373's are just a shade under MB; for two hard courses that's a good start.

Both shoots, especially at Overton, I made classic field craft errors which cost me a lot of points, which will get ironed out as I gain experience. The marked score at the British Champs was especially pleasing, as taking into account just the second day scores I would have been in third place, ahead of one or two established international field archers. Despite the blistering heat and challenging slopes I shot some really strong stuff. Overall I finished 8th out of 30 gents compounder's.

Next up are the Northampton Field Champs, a seemingly flat course so a chance to improve on my current scores, but nothing is easy!

Will I go back to target? Not at this rate...enjoying this FAR too much!

2 comments:

  1. I've just stumbled across your blog after a google search. Your resume, determination, and archery knowledge are impressive and inspirational. I hope to one day have at least half the talent and dedication you do! I'm barely beginning my archery journey, but I'm excited. I would like to ask if you would be interested in doing an interview for my archery blog site: myjourneyintosuccess.blogspot.com. I'm trying to get a few expert opinions on various archery topics.

    Please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry I have only just seen your comment. I have cut down the amount of blogging lately to focus on shooting. Too much talk and not enough doing! Glad you find it useful, and I would be happy to write a few words. Whilst I am not a top class archer by any stretch, I have worked hard to get to a decent level locally whilst still having a job and family life to balance with.

      Delete