Friday 2 April 2010

Practice update and a new bow on the horizon...

I have started to ramp up the shooting a bit now and am looking to perfect my shot execution, looking at the technical aspects in much more detail.

On Wednesday I shot a Worcester round, and apart from one horrible punch (that occurred because I spent so long aiming my brain decided to just let go), I shot well and finished on my usual 298 (I'll get that pesky 300!).

Over the Easter weekend I have spent outdoors shooting @ 70m, and despite not feeling 100% (Kidney stone and stomach bug), and the wind being really tricky I shot some great shots. One one end of 9 arrows I planted 8 of them in the 10, with one just outside in the 9.

This was possible because I relaxed the bow hand, had good thumb pressure on the trigger. All that was needed was a steady aim and the shot was there. My aim was very steady, hardly moving off the centre, and with good timing it was generally a 10/9 or at worst an 8 with the wind blasting through halfway up the range.

I was shooting my old Cartel Triple 300's, with 130gn points. I cant reach 90m with these, but at 70m I can and I was pleased I got them back out. Despite the wind, they tracked very straight with the heavy points.

I have noticed that to get good thumb contact on the trigger, I need to move my hand forward a bit, and I cant get the back of the hand to fully relax. I am going to order the Carter trigger extension piece, that will bring the trigger back to a more natural position, where I can wrap my thumb around the trigger without "searching" for it.

Finally, there is a new bow arriving, hopefully next week. I love the Drenalin, but it only punches out 260fps with a 325gn arrow. With my anchor point and shooting style, I can only just get 90m, with the sight fully in and down. This leaves me with no room to spare, and I am very close to the fletchings hitting the scope.

The Monster (6" brace height version), will mean I will have plenty to spare with my sight marks and hopefully about 30fps extra.

The only question is arrows. I am going to see if the Easton Axis FMJ's perform (got three already to test), as well as seeing if the Cartel 300's work. I do have my eye on Easton's new ACG's as well, which is my likely choice to be honest.

As for my Drenalin, I am keeping this for indoors. Its a great bow, and I would be stupid to let this go.


No comments:

Post a Comment