Sunday 18 April 2010

I shot the Monster and a County record


Today was our club's first outdoor trophy shoot, and the first round outdoors I have shot with the new Mathews Monster since I got it on Wednesday.

We shot a St.George round (9 doz arrows over 100/80/60 yards) and shot a total of 932 out of 972 points which is a Surrey county record.

My first impressions of the Monster is what a fantastic shooting machine. The good shots are rewarded with lovely groups, but bad shots can be punished. But it is so fast, quiet and shock free on release.

I have fitted Monster 7 modules to smooth out the draw (same cams), so its not so harsh, but 55lbs does feel quite heavy but that will ease over time.

My draw length is a little long but I will make these adjustments on the cables rather than new modules, and the overall mass weight is a little heavy, so I need to pay around with the stabilisation. These are tweaks that can be made over the coming weeks.

The Cartel Triple 300 arrows (130gn points) are a great match for this bow, nice and heavy and stable in flight. They work out at about 380gns in total. Even at 55lbs, the Monster has no trouble getting them to 100yards.

I have my first outdoor external competition on Sunday next week (York round @ Andover) and look forward to unleashing the beast!


No comments:

Post a Comment