Wednesday 1 September 2010

Allington Castle York "White Friars"

After the KAA Champs I was determined to shoot better, and I did, but the weather put a stop to any high scores. The wind was so bad that the shoot was stopped twice. However, my 100 yards was fantastic, I really shot well and finished on 598. On a calm day it could have been a lot higher.

80 yards was a lottery, and anything inside the red was good. Brute force won the day here but was well down on my usual score at this distance. However, at the end of this I was still on for an MB score if I maxed 60 yards.

Alas, the wind did not relent, and with really low sight marks (terrain on the range was uphill with lumps and bumps coupled with a head wind), 60 yards was poor and I finished on 1196, still 50 points ahead of second place.

I feel now I can battle the wind with ease, both mentally and by choosing the right moment to shoot. Also, my reading of the conditions down range was good, using the bubble to steer arrows into the gold. Although I lost a few points by reading it incorrectly, I gained far more by making decisions on canting the bow to guide the arrows in.

I am very pleased with how I shot in terms of my alignment, and some of the shots were as good as I have ever shot, and to come away with a convincing 1st place in very difficult conditions was pleasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment