Monday 7 June 2010

Monster paper tuning results

Since I got the Monster, I have shot some good scores, nearly all PB's. All of these have been built on really good long distance scores. The shorter distances have been disappointing at times, and its only now I have realised this has been a re-occurring theme.

Sometimes when shooting I catch a glimpse of the arrow and sometimes it kicks out wildly, so I decided to paper tune at 3m (at home, its all I can get), and the results have been consistent.

Each time, after trying different things, I have always ended up with a high-left, 3.5cm to 4cm tear. The high I can explain, but its the left tear. It maybe that I am torquing the bow, even consistently, but I really don't think so, not that badly. Hand placement is always critical in my shot routine, across the pad of the thumb.

I tried the following, with no difference in the results:
  • Centre shot 11/16" from the riser, a figure used by many Mathews shooters. The string and arrow is in line with the centre of the grip.
  • Shooting @ 59lbs, 56lbs and 52lbs to see if the arrow was too weak (normally shoot @ 59.5lbs).
  • Added extra weights on the end of the long rod and side rods to see if this would reduce torque.
  • Tried my new Brite Sight rest (arrived today) to see if it would reduce torque.
  • Set the nock point from 2mm to 8mm, and upto almost level.
  • Shot holding bow deliberately not have ANY string contact with the face.
None of these had any noticeable affect on the tear size.

Now I do need to go out and do a walk back tune, but this has been done in the past and I got the same kick out (although not confirmed with a paper tune).

The next chance I get to shoot in good weather, I am going to perform a walk back test to confirm my centre shot and re-paper tune. Watch this space for the results...

No comments:

Post a Comment