Monday 28 June 2010

Quality practice is key

Tonight I decided to practice with more structure and purpose and came away really pleased with my approach.

I really needed to practice the short distances and I feel I struggle with these, so I shot a Short Metric, and came away with a PB of 693 out of 720 (338 @ 50m, 355 @ 30m). Both the distance scores were equal to my current PB.

This round was shot under FITA style time control, and despite a couple of silly shots, I shot well and proved that under pressure of time I can rattle in a good score. This has hopefully proved to me that under competition conditions there is plenty of time and no need to put myself under pressure.

I also took Liam's advice and kept a tally of good shots to get a percentage of good shots over the round. I ended up with 40%. This sounds low, but I only counted the really good ones, not the OK ones. This gives me a target to beat, rather than a really high, false first score.

Once thing I have noticed is that for the shorter distances, the stabilisation needs a bit more at the back of the bow. Because of the Monsters really good sight-marks, I am not leaning back slightly like I do at the long distances therefore the bow gets dragged down a little bit. I shot @ 70m tonight and had no problem, so a bit of tweaking is needed, to get a balance for all distances.

I also noticed that even if the aim was not right on the middle, as long as I pulled the arrow would often hit the middle no problem. Just got to keep pulling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment