Sunday 8 August 2010

New practice regime and York practice PB

I have now made up my mind that my whole practice regime is going to be focused around shooting timed FITA's and Yorks. Out goes changing to indoor competition mode or shooting other rounds (unless they can be done alongside). Before I would immerse myself in indoor competitions without really enjoying them and then it takes a lot of effort to get back into outdoor mode just before the season start.

Up until now I have had too many other distractions that have hampered progress in shooting/practising FITA's and Yorks. Whilst it will be nice to do something different occasionally, I am now fully focused on these. Its these rounds that will give me GMB scores which is what I want. I want to now make shooting a 12 doz round per week normal, and shooting them to a high standard normal as well.

My plan is to shoot a FITA or York per week. I will shoot the round that is appropriate to any competitions coming up, and over the Winter I will alternate between the two.

For the indoor season, I will shoot indoors on club night simply for practise, but this will be done with my outdoor set-up and on 40cm target faces to replicate outdoor rounds as much as possible. I might even print off some scale targets to replicate the different distances over 20 yards.

So, last Saturday, I was up at 6:30am and down the range by 8am, and shot a York practise PB of 1268.

The 100 yards started slowly with a 100 dozen, but I steadily built up and finished on 622. This distance included four 6 gold ends.

Apart from one red on the first dozen @ 80 yards, I maxed out the rest of the last 6 dozen. Not all the shots were pretty, but each was strong and positive. It seems that I can stop the bad shots being so bad by being positive.

This was probably the first round for a while that I had aligned everything during each shot, pulling hard on the wall and bring the draw elbow round. This resulted in a rock steady aim, and with good timing the shot executed with guaranteed golds.


No comments:

Post a Comment