Wednesday 16 March 2011

Back to the Monster for this year

So after much deliberation I have decided to go back to the Monster for this year. Having shot the C3 for a number of weeks, its clear it simply does not have the speed needed for the big distances. Shame because its a really lovely bow to shoot. However I have always struggled for sight marks (shape of my head!) and I am on the very limit with the C3.

I will put it aside and use it as an indoor bow for next years indoor season, where it will no doubt be a fantastic rig.

I shot the Monster indoors tonight to bed in a new set of strings/cables. I have got to say I love shooting it. The speed of it, and it holds so steady. The draw length feels a little short but then I am going from a 41" ATA to 33".

So the next stage is to get the cams fully timed, and the Pro Tours paper tuned and centre shot sorted. I may have to cut some off the PT's, but nothing too drastic to stiffen them up a bit.

I am sure this is the right choice. I shot it last year and put in some good scores, and it will be good to shoot the same bow for two years running (which will be a first).

2 comments:

  1. Justin do you shoot with a sling? I'm intrested in your opinon on them. Tomorrow I'm throwing up a post about them. Let me know what you think.
    Good luck with the switch back, if its right its right! I recently switched to a new bow, very intresting to me the diffrence in bows!
    Anyway Lots of luck! Don't you have a lesson coming up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shooting with a sling is vital to good technique. Without it you will need to grab the bow or hold it tight to stop it falling out of your hand. This will cause big left/rights on your groups.

    I use a shoe lace that is tied between the thumb and index finger, and is just slack enough to allow the bow to roll forward on release.

    Try this for a few shots and gain confidence that the bow will not fall onto the ground, then focus on hand position. Place the grip of the bow along the pad of the thumb, and allow your fingers to relax. You may find that they can be tucked out of the way, with only your index finger just brushing the front of the riser. This is an excellent example of a good hand position: http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcTUeEWh3hL06IYixKuDbied_cEtn6nB-yu2Bqsi7HK9shhCzt

    ReplyDelete