Wednesday 30 March 2011

Coaching session with Liam Grimwood

Had a good session with Liam on Tuesday. We worked on some mental aspects, which is the area I need to really focus on now. My technique and form has nowhere to really go now, he said it looks good and wouldn't change anything.

To progress I have to get my head sorted out. The main on is around aiming. I have a tendency to wrestle the dot into the middle. So to combat this, we tried a technique he uses, which is to talk out loud in his mind to pre-occupy the concious mind to take it away from aiming.

During the session we worked on this, and it seemed to work quite well. It got to the stage were I wasn't really concious where the dot was on the target, but the arrows pretty much always landed in the gold @ 70m every time, other than the odd stray when I lapsed a bit.

We also tried a lighter trigger, because it was evident that a stiff trigger was causing me to also fight the bow a little as well. A light trigger is a bit hairy at first, but soon forgot about it (tried it again to night and its feeling pretty nice).

One quantifiable outcome of this was my shot execution timing was like clockwork; it felt really consistent every time, and had sped up by a few seconds.

So, the coming season's focus has now switched to really working on mental strategies, moving away from pure technique.

1 comment: