Saturday 2 April 2011

Arrow tuning and testing from the Monster

I headed down to the field today to get sight marks and attempt a paper tune from the Monster with my 420 PT's and some 380 PT's that I have (just fitted a new string). I originally got the 420's for the C3, but I am going back to the Monster as I suffer badly form sight marks (strange shape head). The arrows are configured thus:

420
27.5" shaft length (all cut from the front)
120 gn Tungsten points

380
27" shaft length (I believe these are all cut from the front, as they are second hand)
120 gn Tungsten points

All arrows have the same pins, nocks (solid green Bohning Blazer) and vanes (1.5" X-Vanes, hot pink of course!). The vanes are fletched the same distance from the end of the shafts.

The 420's according to the charts and AA are marginally weak. The 380's in this configuration are spot on. The bow is setup as:

60lbs
27.75" DL
24 strand string (452X)
28 strand cables
Monster 7 modules (this is an M6).

The paper tune showed up the same 1.5" left hand tear for both sets of arrows. Also slightly high (~5mm) but that is through choice. Moving the rest further out to the left did decrease the tear but both arrows continued to shoot with the same left hand tear consistently over and over again.

I then shot 30m and 50m with both sets of arrows and couldn't spot any difference. The good shots landed in the 10. The bad ones, well no arrow is going to save me! After that I shot just the 420's. Even at 90m, the good shots all landed in 10 size groups. The bad shots, again fizzed off.

So what does this tell me? Stop worrying about bloody spine and get one with shooting! As long as I don't start shooting Easton Jazz arrows or something stupid like that, then it does not really matter. The good shots from the M result in awesome groups. Its down to me to sort out the bad ones and build some consistency.

So there we go, some real world testing, hope that's useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment