Saturday 15 May 2010

Southern Counties Championships

I went into these championships hopeful of getting my first MB (Master Bowman) score, and I came away with one, just about.

The first day started very well, finishing the 100 yard distance on 596. The previous week I had shot a 1226 York in practice which also started with a 596. However, the 80 yards was awful. I started OK, but the more I dropped points the harder I tried and the worse I got! I finished the round on 1198, enough to win the first day but it should have been far far better.

The second day was better. The 100 yards was a little down on day one, finishing on 588. However, 80 yards was a lot better. Whilst it was not spectacular, I put in a steady performance and made sure of each shot as best I could. The wind was not helping, with a changeable tail win pushing groups to the left and right of the target.

I went into the last distance knowing I was on for an MB score. I could afford to drop 4 points and still hit it dead. I dropped those 4 points on the first dozen which made for a very nervy last dozen arrows, but they ended up being good shots, and I finished on 1206. This was good enough to come second overall in the competition over the two days (although I became champion as the winner was a SCAS visitor).

It was pleasing to come away with an MB score, and even win the event, but the most pleasing thing was that I ground out a result on the second day despite having a poor first day, which could have easily have knocked my confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment