Monday 27 June 2011

2011 Allington Castle "Sir Thomas Wyatt" Double York

This was a tough shoot, windy on the first day and blisteringly hot on the second day. I shot 1224 and 1222 with a total for the double of 2446 (which increased my county record by 42 points). Two more solid MB scores.

I was very confident going into this shoot of winning both days, which I did but was pushed hard all the way. However what won the event was consistent shooting. Much of it was not pretty due to the conditions, but my game has developed a much tougher mental attitude now. Even when I am nervous (which I always am, something to work on still), or the conditions are not good, I am making myself hard to beat. On the day I made less mistakes than the following pack. Over the 288 arrows, I only had 3 outside the red (one at 100yards, and two at 80 yards - one being totally down to me).

I now have three weeks until the Surrey County Champs. My goal is to win those champs, so I can put the York rounds aside now and focus on the FITA distances, hope for good weather on the day and push onto GMB.

But, I must get over the nerves. I have no need to be. Nerve free I can shoot huge scores (i.e. at the club), but this is still holding me back in competition. I have shot 6 comfortable MB scores this year under pressure so I can do it. But it will happen, I am sure.

I am now halfway through the outdoor season and delighted with my progress. I am much better than last year, far more consistent and shooting high level MB scores. Last year was more high and lows. Even if GMB does not happen this year, I am patient and will strive hard until I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment