Monday 2 November 2009

2nd Stag Hill Archers Indoor Tournament

Well, this is my first ever blog! I am going to record all of my archery notes here in the hope that it helps me to refine my archery technique and preparation in the future.

Anyway, I have just shot a double FITA 18 at the 2nd Stag Hill Archers Indoor tournament. I shot 557 and 563 and won the double compound round.

I felt I shot OK but am still punching the trigger on occasions. I can get away with it 7/10 times, but my best shots are the surprise ones without doubt. All I need to do is wrap my thumb around the trigger and pull against the wall. I do this with a very heavy trigger and it works well when I am patient and allow the shot to go off sub consciously.

I shot for the first time with a large black dot on the scope. I have tried this before and I never liked it, and have always shot with a large ring. However, my aim was steady with the dot just bouncing around inside the gold and when the shot was executed properly this was an X every time. Just got to trust my technique and good scores will follow. The dot I think has helped to improve the aim overall so I will stick with it for now.

I also dumped the Bowtech Guardian for my Mathews Drenalin LD. I got this around July, second hand from Liam Grimwood on eBay. The draw length is too long (by about 1"), but it shoots so well compared to the Guardian. The feel and balance is far better and I am able to add stabilisation to better effect. The Guardian is too top heavy and can kick badly during the shot. I had to add a ton of weight just to get a reasonable feel from the Guardian.

I am really looking forward to shooting the DLD over the next year, especially when I get my new cam through to bring the draw length down.

No comments:

Post a Comment