Sunday 29 November 2009

I should have been a weight lifter!

So, today I shot in the Surrey Indoor Champs. I had high hopes going into this completion having won it last year.

I started the first 6 arrows very well, having shot a 59. The next 6 turned out a 57, so 116 for the first dozen, a nice start. Thats when the problem started. I started getting really pumped up to the point that I got the shakes. This meant I could not draw the bow without the arrow jumping off the rest. If I was weightlifting it would have been ideal with all that adrenaline flowing! When this happens I get really stressed. So, I swapped my thin blade for the wide one normally used for my fat alloys (I was shooting my outdoor arrows). The problem is that this altered my sight marks significantly in that I had gone from the middle to bottom right on the 9/8 scoring zone. I then spent the next 18 arrows or so getting back into the middle. The rest of the round was pretty good but the damage was done. I finished up with 565, not so good.

The next session was far better, and I shot 572, a competition PB. I did not punch any shots and pretty much all of the shots were executed as explosive surprise shots. The only down side was not relaxing some time so the aim was not quite steady so some were a bit off. However, its probably the best indoor round I have ever shot and am very pleased.

I am also very pleased with the Mathews, it is shooting very well, especially with the draw length reduced down. I had changed the stabilisation the day before and took off 500 grams of weight from the bow. I lengthened and but lightened the long rod and just left one side rod to balance out the sight. This seems to be working really well and I am able to aim much better. The extra weight I did have meant I was tensing up if the shot did not go off in time. I look forward to shooting this setup outside at distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment