Thursday 26 November 2009

Using a hinge release

Last night I got out my new Scott Longhorn hinge release and tried to shoot a complete round with it (although I did not score). So far I have only shot random ends of practice with it.

The biggest problem I have is learning to relax, and it is critical when shooting a hinge style release. The other issue is how do you activate it?

I started the evening trying to relax the index finger and pull with the rest, which works sometimes but it is a form of punching. I then tried to make a relaxed fist around the handle and actively pull around the elbow off the back. This seemed to yield the best results. In some ends the shots were fantastic, but others were not as I did not get the hand pressure on the handle right, or my bow arm was too tense and the aim was erratic.

The other issue I need to address is after drawing the bow with the release aid in a forward position, I need to gain confidence I can grab the rest of the handle without it going off. I has not so far but this just needs more practice to gain that confidence. I am happy with the speed the release aid is set to.

So, what do I think? I think that practising with the hinge release and mastering it will eventually pay off, but like anything, it needs time and patience.

Also, I shot with my new cam that has reduced the draw length down to 27" from 28". It feels a little cramped and I need to increase the length of the D-loop to help bring the elbow round and correct the anchor point which is a little too far forward. However it does mean I have much less facial contact from the bow string itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment