Tuesday 10 November 2009

Coaching

At the weekend I had some coaching from a club member and former England archer Tim Roberts.

Tim shot for England many years back and was kind enough to spend some time with me to go over some issues I am having, mostly around target panic.

When in front of a blank boss, like a lot of archers, I have no trouble at all executing a good shot, repeatedly, over and over again. Other than a few minor issues, my basic form is good and everything looks right. It certainly feels right. The feeling I get when shooting at 90m when a perfect shot is executed (the ones that land in the 10/x and you know it before its even hit) is the same that happens in front of a blank boss. So I know the technique is there.

However, as soon as there is a target then the fear of missing is over powering, and the more you fear it the more chance you will miss!

I think that having coaching will help. Having somebody there to tell you what needs work but most of all what is good will help with my confidence and ultimately help me overcome my target panic. If I am confident then I will be relaxed and this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment